Fast Facts – Fetal Development
- A human person’s life begins at fertilization when the father’s sperm penetrates the mother’s egg.
- From the time of fertilization, a baby’s unique DNA and genetic makeup are complete from sex to hair color to height as an adult.
- A baby’s heart begins to beat just three weeks after fertilization.
- Brain waves can be detected at six weeks after fertilization.
- At two months after fertilization, all of the baby’s organ systems are complete. The baby just needs to grow for the remainder of time in the womb.
This information is courtesy of Wisconsin Right to Life.